8 Macworld 2008 Predictions
On Dec. 3rd 2007, Macworld Expo and Conference officially announced the itinerary for Macworld ’08 featuring Steve Jobs as the keynote speaker, as previously expected. Keeping in mind that Macworld is usually the place Apple introduces new lower priced hardware to encourage continued post holiday consumer purchasing, here’s a rundown of products that may be officially unveiled:
– Shuffle replacements – the 3G Shuffle is nearing the end of its product life cycle, we already know Apple is working on replacements, and online retailers reflect substantially less consumer interest in this model versus other iPods as evidenced by sales figures, all leading me to believe new models are on the way.
– New iPods – an earlier than expected updates to Classic, Nano and Touch models including higher flash capacities ( 16GB Nano and 32GB Touch ) and other updated hardware features may be possible.
– Entry model iPhone – already confirmed by my insider as to its existence and eventual introduction in 2008, Macworld may provide an ideal timing and setting for this announcement. More details on Apple iPhone plans from me coming very soon.
– Mac sub-notebook – a number of Apple rumor sites have reported that an ultra-light, 13 inch notebook featuring solid state storage is in the works and may be introduced at Macworld. While I have no specific insider knowledge on this, a 7-12 inch ultra light notebook with limited solid state storage under $800 ( along the lines of ASUS Eee model ) is sure to spark a lot of interest in the Mac platform by new converts and old Apple followers alike.
– Mac mini – an old favorite of OSX converts, the mini is not being phased out, according to many rumor sites, and will likely receive a total facelift and substantial hardware upgrade. The mini would actually compete for the same consumer dollars as the rumored cheaper sub notebook so expect one or the other but not both.
– A new WIFI connected portable device platform – the chances of this being introduced at Macworld are slim but Apple is working on one and I’ll have more on this topic very soon.
– Displays – a totally revamped cinema display lineup, including a new 36 inch model, may be introduced. Display refreshes, however, are usually reserved for mid-year and are announced quietly via press releases as these models have a specific target audience.
– Expanded ITMS video downloads – NBC may be out but according to several Apple rumor sites, a deal with FOX may be announced.
I expect the introduction of at least 2 new pieces of hardware as well as a number of additions to ITMS. We may also get more clarification on the success of iPhone abroad during the holiday season.